Friday, February 5, 2010

';Overdosing'; on fish fungus remedies?

I'm sure I already know the answer to this is a ';no,'; but I'm rather upset with myself right now so I'm going to ask it anyway. =\





I have a 10 gallon tank that is split into 3 sections as to provide homes for 3 bettas. One of them has fallen quite ill. A few days ago, I noticed one of the three appeared to be rather listless. I didn't really think much of it, as when I noticed it I was packing to leave for the weekend. Upon my return this morning, his entire caudal and dorsal fins were covered in fungus! ;_; I've treated with Maroxy to the letter, but he isn't doing any better and I'm afraid he'll perish overnight. My other two bettas are looking listless as well, but I believe the Maroxy will take care of them.





So my question: Could I overdose the Maroxy to speed up the process? Or would this only cause ill effects for my ill betta?





Thank you to anyone reading all this and taking the time to answer!';Overdosing'; on fish fungus remedies?
Over dosing won't help I'm afraid, it will only damage the biological filter and possibly kill the fish. Remember, most medications are poison. You are poisoning the tank and a level that will kill the fungus but not kill the fish. Over dosing will get it to a level that will kill the fish.





Be sure you are dealing with fungus and not fin rot. If course, it's possible to have both at the same time. Fin rot will not look fuzzy and eats away the fins very quickly. To treat that you will need an antibiotic like Maracyn 2 or Maracyn TC.





You can however use a short term high power treatment to help the bad one. Use 1 quart of water from your tank and add in 3/4 tablespoon of salt. Place the worst fish in this for 5 minutes or until he shows serious signs of stress, whichever come first. It can be a bit risky for the fish, but if you feel he won't make it other wise it's worth a try. This dip will kill the fungus on contact quickly and would seriously speed the healing process.





I f you have any additional questions please feel free to email me.





MM';Overdosing'; on fish fungus remedies?
magic man is right but remember an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure in all my Betta tanks i use methylene blue after each water change. it's the blue stuff you see in the Betta cups at the stores. it a great medicine you can but it under the name of ';Betta revive'; by aquarium solutions

No comments:

Post a Comment