Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My dog has a patch of fungus that is making his fur fall out! HELP!!?

About a month ago, my dog has this small patch of fur become discolored and then fall out. I went to my vet who told me he had a fungus. He gave my dog medication (he is taking two different pills, twice a day), a shampoo (to be used once a week), and a spray (to be sprayed twice a day). It has been two weeks and instead of the area slowing, the fungus is spreading. Anyone have any ideas how to control this. I'm afraid to go back to the vet since he charged 200 bucks last time and I'm afraid I maybe taken for a rideMy dog has a patch of fungus that is making his fur fall out! HELP!!?
Buy some anti-fungul spray %26amp; cream - the kind made for athlete's foot. Put that on the spot %26amp; if it starts to heal in a couple of days - you know it was a fungus %26amp; it will be fine. If it doesn't look better in a couple of days - it might be mange.


Mange is not painful. All dogs have mange mites in their skin, but in times of stress or illness, the mange can take over %26amp; cause a rash %26amp; cause the hair to fall out.


I show my dogs %26amp; take EXCELLENT care of them %26amp; I had a puppy with a tiny patch of mange. I put medicine on it - which I bought from the farm supply store. It started to get better in two days.


I would NOT go back to that vet as he was unable to cure a simple skin problem for $200!My dog has a patch of fungus that is making his fur fall out! HELP!!?
Ok, it could be a number of things, but two that spring to mind are mange or ringworm (which is a fungus)





Take the dog back to the vet, tell him the situation (keep calm, be pleasant, don't lose your temper) Emphasise that money is an issue, and you want to resolve this as quickly as possible.





One of my dogs was diagnosed with a ';fungus'; and I had to give her Ketaconazole tablets and every other day dab the affected area with Imaverol (diluted solution)


I have to say, it seemed to take a while to go.





It's important to nip this in the bud because if it is ringworm and it spreads, it could damage your dogs health.





Did your vet do a skin scraping/shallow biopsy? Yes, it costs more money, but then at least you'll have a definite diagnosis, and won't waste money (or risk your dog's health) with the wrong medication.





If in doubt, change vets. And for the future get pet insurance - then at least you won't have to worry about the bills.





Best of luck
well he has somthing called mange ... if he is in pain you might want to... because mange is very!!!!!!!! painfull i hope he feels better
you need to at least talk to your vet. if the medication is not working he needs to know that. he may just prescribe new meds. please do some so the dog is not uncomfortable
eww thats gross but you should go back to the vet but to a different one not the same one you went to first
sounds like your dog has mange. please take him to a different vet and get a second opinion. mange can be devastating to your dogs overall health. if your dog has canine scabies it is highly contagious to other pets in your home and your family. other symptoms include- crusting of the skin and intense scratching. hope this is helpful. godd luck to you and your dog.
If your vet isn't helping (and charges that much, EEK!) why don't you go to somebody else?

No comments:

Post a Comment